Friday, June 24, 2011

Top 3 Ethembeni computer students

COMPUTER SKILLS DEVELOPMENT

The ETHEMBENI FAMILY CENTRE was donated 6 computers by the Starfish Foundation – part of the Coca-Cola grant. These computers are being put to excellent use by the staff at the centre and the school children. Shân Cade runs a voluntary computer skills development programme weekly for staff and children, and the fruit thereof can be seen.

The first computer class started in March 2011 with 5 lovely children – 4 girls and a boy. We started with the very basic fundamentals of computers like: computer hardware, computer software, the information system, Keyboard fingers.

Each lesson the children are given a one page handout for their files, covering the details of that particular lesson. They have been very diligent in reviewing these documents constantly and can now answer most questions instantly.

We have recently started doing some practical “word and Excel” work and we are learning in a really fun way.

Aligned to being able to use the computer well are the business aspects to computer usage. These fundamental business practices like, a professional finish, letter writing, excel spreadsheet set-up, spell check, logos, signatures, time management, etc, are also being covered, not in great depth but enough depth to get them thinking “business”.

Developing the computer skills of the staff at Ethembeni is twofold:-
1) Empowering them to manage and perform professionally to business standards
2) To assist the children outside of computer lessons

Ethembeni wants to develop the computer training into something worthwhile and accredited – this will enable them to offer the Mpophomeni community training at affordable rates, and generate additional income for Ethembeni –THE PLACE OF HOPE.

Thanks to Coca-Cola and the Starfish Foundation for their invaluable support of Ethembeni in donating these computers.

THE LETTERS FOLLOWING WERE DONE BY OUR TOP 3 COMPUTER STUDENTS, from their hearts... This is very encouraging.

LETTER 1.

Date:23 June 2011

Having computer lessons has made me have more knowledge of the insides and outsides of the computer especially, the basic stuff and the rules on how to handle the computers.
Leaning about computers for me has been much fun, I really enjoy going to my classes but most of all is being with my teacher who takes her time teaching and showing me the correct directions.
I have learned about page borders, how to change your page colour, writing in bold, italic and underlining, opening my own documents and presenting my work in the best of my ability.
Thank you starfish foundation for giving me this opportunity.

Mandisa

LETTER 2.

Date: 23 June 2011

Since I started to came in MPOPHOMENI FAMILY CENTRE I gained many things like clothes food and everything .My father passed away onNOVEMBER 2005. So family centre staff are like my parents and children are like my brothers and sisters. They paid school fees for me since 2006 and that means A lots to me because I live with my granny and she cannot afford to do everything by her pension. They help us to do our homework because I was lacking at school.
When I started to came here I think I was 12 years old and now I am 16 years old. I am doing grade 10 at ASIBEMUNYE HIGH SCHOOL. Here I learned to use A computer. I am glad to be here. I feel at home and I thank them A lots and my computer teacher.

Thokozani

LETTER 3.

Date: 23 June 2011

Since I practise on thecomputer I gain more knowledge.
To make something like write letters and open my document.
I enjoy to having a computer skill.
In computer class I have to work very hard.
Thank you for helping me to get computer skills.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment